Profile Links Tagboard Others

My Reflection on Monday, 22 August 2011

Sunday 4 September 2011 @ 09:29


My Reflection on Monday, 22 August 2011


I sat in  class and did not know what to expect...but Dr Yap started off the evening with us  deciphering the letters in our names to the 99th position. It was some sort like a warm up to get us going with mathematics. I felt that it was a technique and could be a practise to inject excitement to learning the subject. I knew that there were not one way to solving a math question..finally. I realised that after we chipped in our two cents worth and I noticed that we could see patterns in the numbers.
Today, I learnt that numbers could be use differently and with purpose. We discussed on rationale counting which is into cardinal, ordinal, nominal numbers and measurement in weights. Dr Yap pointed out that it was crucial that young children be taught Mathematics as when they have interactions with materials. I realised that we have to use identical materials to show the quantity or making a comparison eg: How many squares? Yet we show the different sizes of squares...even counting the pencils need be in the same length. I learnt new things everyday...
Jun Jun and Lasane were introduced in order for us to understand the use of ten frames to show addition and number facts. We discussed on counting all, count on and also communicative property of addition meaning 5+7 is the same as 7+5. Remembering Jun Jun and Lasane reminded me of ten frames..! I must inject creativity in the simplest ...starting with names in story.
The prerequisites for one to learnt mathematics are the ability to:
1)      Sort
2)      Rote Count
3)      Appreciation of the number you say is the total in the group
Eg: How many are there?
4)      One to one correspondence
After a brief introduction on the spiral curriculum, I realised and more confident now that it is important and crucial to teach the 4 basic foundation to children. The mentioned of developing visualisation meaning to see the invisible which is one that I would continue to pursue helping my children to apprehend. I hope this topic could be one that I could be addressed daily throughout this course.
We continued to decipher the mathematical games with Dr Yap asking questions continuously and patiently to have us to see the pattern. He was focus and patient but I was restless and drained...therefore what about my preschoolers!! But I agree that the question has helped me to tap on my prior knowledge on some mathematical concepts that I have learnt in my school days but it had got me thinking. I must say that, I have a good start to the brain workout. In my teachings, I would want to apply the questioning method but how would start for my K1s and K2s? Also, I would want to know more on how to tackle parents questions on mathematics and be able to answer constructively.
    

0 comments


Fingerprints

Noorlinda Buang

class: bsc05
x