Profile Links Tagboard Others

My Reflection Tuesday 23 August 2011

Sunday 4 September 2011 @ 09:31



Today’s learning has broaden my knowledge on what to expect in Math. As usual, Dr Yap started us off with a game to look out for bad numbers by playing the pick-up sticks game...another warm up games for the children especially my K2s. I believed that it is important to prepare a lesson well but of course there was never a perfect lesson. As an educator, we planned lesson to provide children with what they want to learn, what if they cant (remediation) and what they already know. There are different types of learners eg with the higher ability children, we planned ahead an extended version of the activity so that they could be supported and their thinking  skills sharpened.
We moved on to another activity which was my favourite so far and it was easily adaptable and workable for the K2s and also my own 9 year old daughter. I noted the title   “ Make the biggest even number from a four digit number”.  My daughter enjoyed this game tremendously ..No counting! Afterall learning must be fun! As she learnt to read the numbers accordingly yet practised on her even and odd numbers!
The mentioned of constructivist Jerome Brunner reminded us of CPA acronym for Concrete Experience,Pictorial and Abstract. It reminded me of my 9 year old daughter who struggle with mathematics and she has shown no interest at all with the subject...I wonder if her teachers have failed to follow the CPA approach....I hope after this course I am more equipped to help her.

The way that we used another approach to solve 51 divide by 3 using number bond is good when the math foundation for a child is in placed..?  Nonetheless I found it interesting and easy for me to understand and I am a convert to pursue with number bonds.

Finally Math is about thinking, problem solving and decision making  which are crucial life skills in the 21st century. Teaching children to be figuring things out...





0 comments


Fingerprints

Noorlinda Buang

class: bsc05
x